Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I'm Back

I know that I've been really bad on keeping this blog updated in the past 6 months or so, but I'm back, I promise. I'm starting with this one and I plan on catching prior posts up to date, I have most of them started just not completed. Don't hold me accountable though if it takes another 6 months to finish them, I do live in the present not the past.


As most people know I just moved to NYC a couple weeks ago, in a whirlwind crazy uprooting. I had no particular reason, the opportunity presented itself perfectly in a timing that things were a bit off in my life and I just jumped head first.
It all was prompted by an impromptu visit to the city at the end of September to meet up with an old friend from Richmond who happened to be visiting the city, with a broken toe I hadn't been working much so I needed to break away. After buzzing around and ending up at a fundraiser I was hungry and wanted to go on a search for cupcakes. As I hobbled along the streets I had a weird sense that I could live here. I passed it off and went on my way*. Then as the weeks passed some ridiculous ordeal happened in my life and in an unexpected turn of events combined with a friend's desire to move to NYC spurred a big move. On November 3rd a friend from Boston and I went to Manhattan on a 'let's just look at what's out there'. The first night we looked at one place that was small but the price was right, then the next day we looked at 10 places but we kept going back to the 1st. The broker was awesome and told us that he'd be away until Sun so we had a few days to decide if we wanted to take it. After riding the emotional roller coaster and almost having a severe panic attack, I just decided to go with the flow and do it while I have nothing tying me down. And besides when else would I have this chance again? We called the broker on that Sunday and he sent over the application, we filled it out and before we knew it we had the place. So after last minute changing moving dates, on Dec 6th myself, my friend/new roommate (who did the exact same uprooting as me), my Dad and a few friends each on both ends, packed us out of Boston, drove the U-haul, and moved us into a quaint Upper East Side apartment. A very interesting task nonetheless. Just a side note: We are so very grateful to all those who helped us out in this move- we couldn't have done it without you guys- Thank you so very much!!!
I didn't have a job lined up, not that I wasn't looking prior to the move but it's hard commuting 4 hours each way, so I gave in and waited until I was settled here. After countless resumes emailed and dropped of as well as open calls and interviews I am sure something perfect will turn up in time (I know some of you may be worried but don't I'll be ok until it all pans out).
In the meantime I'm trying to pull myself together getting some kind of routine in, learn my way around the city, meet up with old friends, meet new friends and make where I lay my head feel like home. I never thought in a million years that I'd end up here. I'm taking each day by day and trying to savour every moment!

*Coincidentally where I ended up living was exactly where I was roaming/hobbling along when that odd sense came over me.

No comments: