Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On Track

In getting myself in a routine, running/workouts are one of those things that needed a serious makeover from recently. Since taking my break from the outdoor season, then coming back only to break my toe, setting training back another 6-8 weeks, then working like crazy then deciding I'd "check out" NYC, to moving to the city, I had lost my way. I was running sporadically, there was no structure whatsoever and I certainly didn't feel like myself. It's slightly sad to say that my craziness is my calm, but it is. I never want to feel like stepping on the track defines me however it does make up a big part of who I am. It's my one true love (another really sad truth, I tell myself I know I've met the perfect man when he makes me feel the way running does).

After spending a week pulling the apartment together, I knew it was time that I made my way to the only indoor track in Manhattan, the Armory. Dragging my feet, not because I didn't want to run (well actually I kind of didn't, my body was not looking forward to the self inflicted pain), but because I knew that it would make a nice dent in my savings. I do have a specific account that I set money aside for all things track related even so I still didn't want to part with that big of a chunk of it knowing that I don't know when I'll be able to contribute to it again. Also the fact that the fee only includes track time and nothing else, with extremely limited times and lots of rules. I got over it quickly and schlepped up to 169th St in Washington Heights with my waiver all filled out, bank card in hand, and gym bag stuffed with my running gear.

In case you were wondering I will train by myself and continue to run affiliated with GBTC for the time being until I am certain that this move is more than a year. Not that I don't think that the teams here aren't better but rather than switching back and forth it's just easier. Also leaving my teammates was one of the few things that really made me not want to leave Boston. I have been in contact with one of Central Park Track Club's coaches and she has invited me to train with them if I get too lonely, which was really nice. Seeing as I will eventually need a runner outlet, it's good to know that it's there.

I started off my first workout to get used to the track with just some repeat 200's at a comfortable pace then threw in a modified hurdle workout. After which I was let known that I was a bit overzealous on my first day by slamming my trail leg the hurdle leaving me with a lovely black and blue prize. Count for the season is Deanna's knee:0 Hurdle:1 I did however get quite a few passes unscathed at the high hurdle level so it wasn't a complete bust.


I now have 3 real workouts down and I'm feeling good. Still adapting myself to the track since all my workouts will be done in mainly lane 2, which I hope doesn't wreck too much havoc on my body. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and what it brings. Not quite sure what races I will race in but as they come I will weigh them out how they'll fit for me. Really I'm just happy to get back in the game and stay in it.

No comments: