Thursday, January 13, 2011

Embracing the Imperfect

'Perfection is not just about control, it's also about letting go.'
 I went and saw Black Swan today and it kind of hit home a bit. I'm not a dancer and I don't think that the pressure that revolves around the dancer world is quite the same as the running world. I did however feel a connection though with how much the lead character wanted to be perfect. I won't goes as far as to say we were the same (she was definitely on the other end of crazy scale) but similarities exist and it got me thinking.  So much of my life is maintaining control over everyday things and hiding imperfections, after a while it starts to weigh me down. Even though I don't do the whole resolution thing I think in the spirit of it being a new year I'm going to do something similar to a resolution. I'm going to embrace the bad that comes with my running and racing. I usually do try my hardest to look at the bright side of a down fall but I don't always acknowledge it to the fullest. With that I will start to keep a log of all my race performances, whether I find them acceptable or not. I always try to hide that nasty little number when I'm embarrassed and striving for unattainable perfection. Now it's time to take those numbers and wrap my arms around them,bring them to the surface then send them on their merry way.
I'm also going to embrace my new training regimen as I really haven't quite yet grasped it yet. I still want to think like I was training with Boston, but the truth is I'm in NY and I need to get in that NY state of mind while I'm here. My coach is a coach for a reason, they know what they're doing so I need to embrace it.
There's going to be a lot of hugging and imperfections this year, or atleast an attempt.

No comments: